Wednesday, April 24, 2013
Boston Convention & Exposition Center, Boston,
A Satellite Program of ASN's Scientific Sessions at Experimental Biology
American Society for Nutrition • Danone Institute International
Dairy Research Institute • The Nutrition Society
This new, multi-year international effort was commenced to examine the health benefits of yogurt, identify research gaps, and stimulate new research on the topic. The one-day meeting will review existing and emerging science on the health benefits of yogurt as part of a balanced diet to address current nutrient deficiencies, manage body weight and reduce chronic health conditions. The nutritional density of yogurt as well as its role in both developed and underdeveloped countries will be examined. Special thanks to the Danone Institute International for providing an educational grant to support this program.
At the end of this program, the attendee will be able t
- Provide an overview of worldwide yogurt consumption patterns.
- Describe the evidence base supporting health benefits of regular yogurt consumption as part of a balanced diet to address current nutrient deficiencies, manage body weight and reduce chronic health conditions.
- Define the unique nutrient-dense profile of yogurt compared to other dairy foods and identify populations that may benefit from its consumption.
- Identify knowledge gaps and opportunities for future research.
- Describe the scientific rationale behind existing dairy dietary recommendations.
CPE Credit Designation Statement
ASN designates this educational activity for a maximum of 6 CPEUs. Dietitians and dietetic technicians, registered should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
ASN (Provider #NS010) is accredited and approved by the Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR) as a provider of Continuing Professional Education (CPE) programs for Registered Dietitians.
Learning Level 2
Suggested Learning Codes:(2000) Science of food and nutrition
(2020) Composition of foods, nutrient analysis
(2090) Micronutrients: vitamins, minerals
(2100) Nutritional biochemistry
(4000) Wellness and public health
(4040) Disease prevention
(5370) Weight management, obesity
(9020) Evaluation and application of research
7:30 - 8:00 AM Breakfast
8:00 – 11:45 AM Opening Session
· State of the Art Lecture: Consumption of Dairy Products and Public Health
· Dairy and Yogurt Consumption: Health Benefits and Cost Effectiveness
· Nutrient Density : Principles and Evaluation Tools
· Example of Analyzing Yogurt Nutrient
· Dairy and Yogurt in Nutrition-Economics
· Yogurt, Living Cultures and Gut Health
· Yogurt and Bone Health
· Yogurt and Fortification Benefits to Specific Populations
11:45 AM - 12:15 PM LUNCH
12:20 - 3:300 PM Afternoon Sessions
· Report from Concurrent Workshops
· Group Discussions: How Can Yogurt Improve One's Diet and Health?
· Yogurt & Obesity: Weight Management Paradox
· Yogurt & Metabolic Diseases: What Does the Data Show?
· Diet and Lifestyle Behaviors of Yogurt Consumers
· The Science Behind Current Dairy Dietary Guidelines
· Policy Needs
· Closing Comments