JN Editor Search
To all ASN members and interested parties:
As the term for the current Editor of the Journal of Nutrition (JN), Dr. A. Catharine Ross, nears its end in December 2013, the American Society for Nutrition (ASN) is actively soliciting nominations and applications for our next Editor-in-Chief who will assume the position in January 2014.
An Editor Search Committee has recently been formed and charged with identifying highly qualified candidates and making recommendations to the ASN Board of Directors. We ask your assistance in identifying such individuals.
The position of Editor is critically important as this individual will provide leadership for the scientific quality of JN and promote the development of JN as the premier repository of contemporary research findings in nutrition science. The successful applicant will have a distinguished research and publication record as well as high visibility and recognition among nutrition scientists. We are seeking applicants with exceptional organizational skills who have the managerial strength to make difficult decisions. Importantly, the Editor will have a broad knowledge of nutrition, with appreciation for basic and applied research, including developing areas. The Editor will have the following duties and responsibilities:
• Advises Board of Directors on appointment of Associate Editors and Editorial Board Members
• Assumes responsibility for editorial aspects of JN operation
• Develops and implements plans to assure that the scope of JN is broadly representative of contemporary nutritional sciences
• Electronically receives manuscripts that have been surveyed for completeness by Secretariat staff and reasonable conformity to the “Guide for Authors”
• Determines that the scientific focus of each submitted manuscript is appropriate for JN and rejects without scientific review those that are not
• Assigns submitted manuscripts to Associate Editors via the BenchPress system
• Prepares a yearly report of Journal activities for the ASN Board of Directors, Publications Management Committee, and editorial group
• Establishes and supervises peer review process
• Coordinates activities between office of the Editor and other editorial offices
• Accepts or rejects manuscripts reviewed in the office of the Editor
• Establishes policies and guidelines for acceptance of manuscripts in editorial offices
• Acts on requests of authors for reconsideration of rejected manuscripts
• Supervises scientific copy editing on all acceptable manuscripts
• Approves proposals for publication of supplements and on the appointment of guest editors
• Works with ASN officers/staff to resolve issues related to scientific integrity of JN
Any interested member of ASN is encouraged to submit a letter of intent along with a curriculum vitae. Members of ASN, and other interested parties, are invited to submit nominations of potential candidates accompanied by a description of the candidate's editorial experience, a short endorsement, and appropriate contact information for the candidate.
Letters of intent and nominations should be received before October 15, 2012, although earlier expressions of interest are strongly encouraged. All candidates will be asked to provide additional information on their qualifications and vision for the journal to complete their application. The deadline for receipt of the full application is December 15, 2012. The JN Editor Search Committee plans to interview candidates in early 2013.
Additional information is available from any member of the JN Editor Search Committee:
Charles Lang, PhD, Penn State College Medicine (email@example.com)
Michael Kilberg, PhD, University of Florida, College of Medicine (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Janos Zempleni, PhD, University of Nebraska-Lincoln (email@example.com)
Grace Marquis, PhD, McGill University (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Jack Odle, PhD, North Carolina State University (Jack_Odle@ncsu.edu)
Detailed information pertaining to the mission, scope and purpose of JN can be found at http://jn.nutrition.org/. The Committee openly invites your participation in this important decision. All letters of intent and nominations should be addressed to the committee chair, Dr. Charles Lang, and submitted electronically to ASN Administrative Assistant, Valerie Bloom (email@example.com).