Advances in NutritionSearch Announcement
To all ASN members and interested parties:
The American Society for Nutrition is starting a search for the next Editor of Advances in Nutrition, the society's peer-reviewed journal, launched in 2010. The new Editor will serve a five-year term, beginning January 2014 or earlier, if possible. It is expected that the new Editor will be selected no later than April, 2013 and will assume responsibility for the review of new manuscript submissions beginning approximately September, 2013.
Advances in Nutrition is a bi-monthly, online-only publication. The journal publishes review articles that highlight significant advances or changes in direction in the field of nutrition and highlight the central role of nutrition in the promotion of health and prevention of disease. The content of Advances in Nutrition complements the content of ASN's flagship research journals, The Journal of Nutrition and The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.
The Advances in Nutrition Editor Search Committee would like to encourage ASN members and other individuals to self nominate or help identify qualified individuals to serve as the next Editor of the journal.
The position of Editor is critically important, especially for a new review journal. The incoming Editor has the opportunity to evaluate the current situation on the basis of the journal's first 2 years and may consider structural changes regarding the role of the Editor, Associate Editors and editorial board. Paramount to Advances in Nutrition continued success is for the Editor to provide leadership in ensuring a fair and rigorous review of submitted manuscripts and to work with the Associate Editorial, editorial board, the ASN Board of Directors, the ASN Publications Management Committee and staff to set strategic short and long term goals and directions for the journal.
The successful applicant will have a distinguished research and publication record as well as high visibility and recognition among nutrition scientists. The Editor will have a broad knowledge of nutrition, with appreciation for basic and applied research, particularly in rapidly developing areas.
The Editor will have the following duties and responsibilities:
- Advises Board of Directors on appointment of Associate Editors
- In consultation with Associate Editors advises Board of Directors on appointment of Editorial Board Members
- Assumes responsibility for editorial aspects of Advances in Nutrition operation
- Develops and implements plans to assure that the scope of Advances in Nutrition is broadly representative of contemporary nutritional sciences
- Electronically receives manuscripts that have been surveyed for completeness by Secretariat staff and reasonable conformity to the “Guide for Authors”
- Determines that the scientific focus of each submitted manuscript is appropriate for Advances in Nutrition and rejects without scientific review those that are not
- Assigns submitted manuscripts to Associate Editors via the BenchPress system
- Prepares a yearly report of Advances in Nutrition activities for the ASN Board of Directors, Publications Management Committee, and Advances in Nutrition editorial group
- Supervises peer review process
- In consultation with Associate Editors annually reviews and when appropriate modifies the peer review process
- Coordinates activities between office of the Editor and other editorial offices
- Accepts or rejects manuscripts reviewed in the office of the Editor. Editor may assign responsibility for accept and reject decisions to Associate Editors for those manuscripts reviewed in the offices of Associate Editors.
- Establishes policies and guidelines for acceptance of manuscripts in editorial offices
- Acts on requests of authors for reconsideration of rejected manuscripts
- Supervises scientific copy editing on all acceptable manuscripts
- In consultation with Associate Editors approves proposals for publication of supplements and on the appointment of guest editors
- Works with ASN officers/staff to resolve issues related to scientific integrity of Advances in Nutrition
Letters of intent and nominations should be received before October 15, 2012, although earlier expressions of interest are strongly encouraged. Following a preliminary screening, selected candidates will be asked to provide additional information on their qualifications and vision for the journal to complete their application. The deadline for receipt of the full application is December 15, 2012. The Advances in Nutrition Editor Search Committee plans to interview candidates in early 2013.
Additional information is available from any member of the Advances in Nutrition Editor Search Committee:
Alice H. Lichtenstein, DSc, Tufts University JM USDA Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging; Alice.Lichtenstein@Tufts.edu
Steve Abrams, MD, Baylor College of Medicine; firstname.lastname@example.org
Laura Caulfield PhD, The Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health; email@example.com
Michael McBurney, PhD, DSM Nutritional Products; Michael.McBurney@dsm.com
Elizabeth Parks, PhD, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center; Elizabeth.Parks@UTSouthwestern.edu
Information pertaining to the mission, scope and purpose of Advances in Nutrition can be found at http://advances.nutrition.org/. The Committee openly invites your participation in this important decision. All letters of intent and nominations should be addressed to the committee chair, Dr. Alice Lichtenstein, and submitted electronically to ASN Administrative Assistant, Valerie Bloom (firstname.lastname@example.org).