The American Society for Nutrition (ASN) provides a variety of
programs for its student members, who account for almost 20
percent of total membership.
Student Interest Group
To facilitate scientific exchange among members, ASN maintains membership communities including interest groups. The Student Interest Group (SIG) focuses on the interests of student members in the Society. Students are informed of and encouraged to participate in various activities that center on enabling them to gain the most from their nutritional science education. Society activities allow students to network and prepare for post-academic success. Members of the SIG also work as liaisons with other committees in ASN to provide student perspective where it is needed.
The SIG focuses on developing student-specific activities at
ASN's Annual Meeting and Scientific Sessions at Experimental
Biology (EB). Some of the events include hosting an annual
symposium, speed mentoring co-sponsored with the Young
Professional Interest Group (YPIG) and the Graduate Student
Breakfast supported by the Dairy Research Institute.
Minority and Diversity Affairs Committee/SIG Co-Sponsored Forum at EB 2015:
- 2015: Career Enhancement for Students and Postdocs
SIG Travel Award supported by the Dairy Research Institute:
- 2015 Finalists: Carly Visentin (University of Toronto), Man Zhan (University of California, Davis), Benedicte Tremblay (University Laval), Vivian Choo (University of Toronto), Jessica Ralston (University of Guelph), Elizabeth Killion (Tufts University)
- 2015 Award Recipients: Benedicte Tremblay, Vivian Choo and
Learn more about SIG programs by clicking at right. If you have any questions about the Student Interest Group (SIG) please contact Katie Coakley, 2014-15 SIG Chair.
Individuals with an interest in nutrition and who are candidates for an undergraduate, graduate, or medical degree from an accredited institution may apply for student membership in ASN.
Student membership in ASN is more than a line on a CV! Student membership allows you to:
- Receive 12 months of membership for only $35
- Apply for awards and travel grants like the Graduate Student Research Award, Pre-Doctoral awards, International Congress of Nutrition awards, and more
- Be informed of employment, grant, scholarship and internship opportunities
- Network with your peers and leaders in the field of nutrition
- Take advantage of the numerous career resources available through ASN's alliance with the Federation of American Society for Experimental Biology (FASEB)
- Connect with mentors
- Access free online content for our two top-rated nutrition and dietetic journals
- Blog for ASN.