The American Society for Nutrition (ASN) provides a variety of
programs for its student members, who account for almost 20
percent of total membership.
Student Interest Group
To facilitate scientific exchange among members, ASN maintains membership communities including interest groups. The Student Interest Group (SIG) focuses on the interests of student members in the Society. Students are informed of and encouraged to participate in various activities that center on enabling them to gain the most from their nutritional science education. Society activities allow students to network and prepare for post-academic success. Members of the SIG also work as liaisons with other committees in ASN to provide student perspective where it is needed.
The SIG focuses on developing student-specific activities at
ASN's Annual Meeting and Scientific Sessions at Experimental
Biology (EB). Some of the events include hosting an annual
symposium, speed mentoring co-sponsored with the Young
Professional Interest Group (YPIG) and the Graduate Student
Breakfast supported by the Dairy Research Institute.
SIG-organized symposium at EB 2013:
- 2013: Social Media and Mobile Technology for Education, Research and Practice in the Field of Nutrition
SIG Travel Award supported by the Dairy Research Institute:
- 2012 Finalists:Laura Chiavaroli, Ruth Grossman, Stefanie Hinkle, Rebecca Replogle, Taylor Salinardi, and Xiaolei Shie
- 2012 Award Recipients: Ruth Grossman, Stefanie Hinkle,
Learn more about SIG programs by clicking at right. If you have any questions about the Student Interest Group (SIG) please contact Rebecca Creasy, 2013-14 SIG Chair.
Individuals with an interest in nutrition and who are candidates for an undergraduate, graduate, or medical degree from an accredited institution may apply for student membership in ASN.
Student membership in ASN is more than a line on a CV! Student membership allows you to:
- Receive 12 months of membership for only $35
- Apply for awards and travel grants like the Graduate Student Research Award, Pre-Doctoral awards, International Congress of Nutrition awards, and more
- Be informed of employment, grant, scholarship and internship opportunities
- Network with your peers and leaders in the field of nutrition
- Take advantage of the numerous career resources available through ASN's alliance with the Federation of American Society for Experimental Biology (FASEB)
- Connect with mentors
- Access free online content for our two top-rated nutrition and dietetic journals
- Blog for ASN.