The American Society for Nutrition (ASN) actively engages in the
recruitment, development and advancement of underrepresented
minorities throughout the nutrition field. ASN is the premier
scientific/medical society in nutrition and is a professional
home for over 5,000 nutrition scientists and health
practitioners. As the face of science changes, ASN aims to
nurture and support the scientific talent and achievement of
underrepresented minority scientists and health practitioners.
The society is also proud to be a leader in the struggle to
promote health and reduce health disparities.
Advantages for our minority members include:
- Access to education and professional development opportunities year-round and at our Scientific Sessions and Annual Meeting at Experimental Biology (EB)
- Networking events to meet colleagues and other industry professionals, including a special luncheon at EB
- Award opportunities and recognition, including travel awards for investigator-mentors at EB
- Access to research funding, grants, mentoring, scholarships, and fellowships
- Joint efforts with other organizations committed to advancing minorities in science, such as Annual Biomedical Research Conference for Minority Students (ABRCMS) and SACNAS
- Connecting young minority investigators to Summer Research Opportunities
Students and post-doctorates from under-represented minority groups or institutions are eligible for additional benefits:
- ASN MARC Travel Awards
- Postdoctoral Professional Development and Enrichment Award
ASN Opportunities for Students
Download our advantages flyer for additional information.
Minority and Diversity Affairs
ASN's Minority and Diversity Affairs Committee offers a chance to get involved and make an impact as a volunteer leader for ASN. The committee enhances the participation of scientists from minority groups in the activities of ASN by sponsoring special events and symposia.
Join ASN today so we can increase the pool of minority scientists and maintain and retain those scientists with support of their activities and careers. We are planning to expand our efforts with an ambassador program, additional travel awards to more meetings, and co-programming with ASN student affiliate chapters.
Travel Awards Available for Experimental Biology
FASEB MARC (Maximizing Access to Research Careers) provides funding for travel awards to Experimental Biology to encourage and support the participation of underrepresented students and postdoctoral fellows at scientific meetings and conferences. ASN members are eligible to apply for travel awards to help defray conference-related expenses, such as registration and travel (lodging, transportation, and meal per diem). Each recipient is eligible to receive up to $1,850 per award, unless otherwise stated in the confirmation letter. Application deadline for Experimental Biology 2016 is February 19, 2016.
Note for ASN Members: Please select Experimental Biology
2016 - Apr 2-Apr 6,2016 and indicate ASN
Investigator Oral Competition
Organized by the Minority and Diversity Affairs Committee and supported by DSM Nutritional Products
This competition provides an opportunity for young
investigators from underrepresented communities within the
biomedical and life sciences to participate in the annual
meeting by discussing their research findings. Finalists
will strengthen presentation and professional skills
associated with a career in the sciences.
Important Deadlines and Dates:
- 11/08/2015: ASN Young Minority Investigator Oral Competition Application Deadline
- 02/19/2016: FASEB MARC Travel Award Deadline
- 04/02/2016: ASN Young Minority Investigator Oral Competition
Angela De Leon, University of California, Davis
Michelle Cardel, University of Colorado, Denver
Ashley Carter, Florida State University
Dede N. Ekoue, University of Illinois at Chicago
Timothy Barnes, University of Minnesota
Valerie L. Darcey, Georgetown University
Monique J. LeMieux, Texas Tech University
Andrea Lopez-Cepero, University of Puerto Rico
Danielle Nunnery, University of North Carolina, Greensboro
For more information about the FASEB MARC Travel Award
pornomier sexocisne sexosello sexoguepardo sexoleona pornopapagaio sexotortuga pornocangur sexoburro pornosuporta sexociervo pornobuburuzele sexocaracoles sexomarsopa sexojaguar pornoincipiente sessotacchino.com