2011 ASN Physician Nutrition Specialist Award Winner: Dan Bessesen , MD, Professor of Medicine, University of Colorado Health Science Center.
With this award, Dr. Bessesen plans to gather and collate the best of the nutritional education materials that have been developed by others around the country over the last 10-15 years, update them where needed, tailor them to trainees stages of education and particular needs and preserve them in a web based format that would be used at a variety of geographic sites.
The Physician Nutrition Specialist Award provides a $ 30,000
salary stipend to support the educational role of an academic
physician who is focusing his/her career in nutrition. The award
can be renewed competitively for a second year, contingent on
demonstrated progress during the first year and on availability
of funds. Only one candidate per institution will be
The recipient of this award must:
- Have a leadership role in developing, sustaining, and strengthening nutrition education programs for medical students, residents, and practicing physicians in her or his institution.
- Be committing at least 50% of her or his time and effort to academic nutrition programs including clinical and educational activities.
- Have a full-time faculty appointment in a primary care clinical department with the rank of assistant professor or above at an accredited school of medicine in the United States, its territories, or its possessions.
- Receive at least $10,000 matching salary funds from the dean of his or her school of medicine per year of the award or/and a commitment to maintain the program at the same or greater level of support for a minimum period that matches the duration of the award.
- Be a member of ASN (or be eligible for membership and have submitted an application) and commit to being an active participant in ASN's annual nutrition education forum.
- Be board eligible in nutrition (American Board of Nutrition).
- Subject to the availability of funds and the track record of the recipient, this award is renewable on a non-competitive basis for a second year.
For further information about the award or related sponsorship opportunities, please contact: