American Society For Nutrition

Proposal for INC Name Change

Excellence in Nutrition Research and Practice
Posted on 05/07/2012 at 12:10:37 PM by Moira Holt

Proposal to Change the Name of the
International Nutrition Council

1. Rationale

The current name, International Nutrition Council, implies that the society takes a US perspective, and members work in other countries. The Council seeks to attract members worldwide and to address problems of vulnerable populations anywhere. “Global” is widely replacing “International” as a designation for academic and research programs for this reason, and it is appropriate for the INC to adopt this new designation. At the Business Meeting, there was wide support for the idea of replacing “International” with “Global” in the name of the Council.

2. Suggested names

The INC Governing Committee has suggested the name Global Public Nutrition Council. This name replaces International with the more inclusive term Global, and the term Public Nutrition is understood as an inclusive term (from genes to policy) that emphasizes that the Council works to have impact at the population level. “Public Nutrition” is a term analogous to “Public Health," but more inclusive and representative of the broad interests amongst the INC's membership.

Other members suggested the name Global Nutrition Council. This name replaces International with Global, but avoids the perception of narrowing or specifying the kinds of research and action that members engage in.

A third suggestion was Global Food and Nutrition Council. This name replaces International with Global, and emphasizes that the members are engaged in research and action on issues related to human nutrition and on food systems and diets.

A fourth option is to keep the name of the Council as it is.

3. Other issues

The idea of including the term “research” in the name was discussed, but there was some feeling that the research mission is clear because INC is a Council of the ASN, whose mission explicitly incorporates research.

There was concern that Global Nutrition Council would be abbreviated “GNC” and possibly be associated with a commercial supplement maker with the same initials, although this is a concern primarily in the US.

The suggestion of resolving this problem by using the name Council on Global Nutrition was countered by the concern that ASN may like all the councils to have the term “Council” as the last word of their names.

4. Process for Name Change

In order to change the name of the Council, the members must vote. The voting process will be by electronic survey emailed to all INC members. Each member will designate a first, second, and third choice, so that the preferences of those whose first choice is not selected will have their preferences taken into account.

Members will have two weeks to vote on the new name after the email ballot is sent.

The new name will be proposed to the Board of Directors of the American Society for Nutrition, which must approve it before it becomes official.

Before a ballot is sent electronically, the Governing Committee invites members to leave their comments on the INC web site, including opinions about the names currently suggested and any additional suggestions. Please leave your comments by May 20. After reviewing the comments, the Governing Committee will send an electronic ballot to all members as described above.

Thank you in advance for your participation!

Please leave your comments and/or name suggestions below.

20 Comments
Posted May 08, 2012 1:24 PM by Amy Luke

Like Global Nutrition Council

Posted May 08, 2012 1:29 PM by Heather

My first preference is "Global Food and Nutrition Council" and next would be "Global Nutrition Council". These are most similar to the current name and, I believe, are not as limiting as "Global Public Nutrition Council" would be.

Posted May 08, 2012 1:56 PM by Leanne Zhu

Prefer "Global Food and Nutrition Council" (proposed by Heather). The food aspect is extremely important in the nutrition discussion and is often overlooked.

Changing from 'International' to 'Global' should also reflect in in the vision, mission, goals and objectives. I wonder if the present vision etc. will be in sync with the change. I like Global Nutrition Council (regardless of commercial GNC). We have to establish our own credibility.

Posted May 08, 2012 2:52 PM by Ala Shaikhkhalil

I think adding changing from international to global is a good change. Adding food is also important since the council is involved in research and actions as well. My vote is for "Global Food and Nutrition Council" Ala

Below are references to two papers that make the case for the use of global, not international, in our name, as well as defining the field where it is today. The first article, Global Health is Public Health, had as co-authors several Deans of SPHs, including Hopkins, Tulane, Harvard, Columbia, and myself, Associate Dean for Global Health at UNC. The second article is one that I led that takes the stance that 'global health is local public health'. In my view, 'public health nutrition' is a term that has not been widely used nor did it gain traction after the article published several years ago.

Peggy

Fried, L. P., Bentley, M. E., Buekens, P., Burke, D. S., Frenk, J. J., Klag, M. J., et al. (2010). Global health is public health. The Lancet, 375(9714), 535-537. doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(10)60203-6

Bentley, M. E., Van Vliet, G. (2010). Global health is (local) public health. North Carolina Medical Journal, 71(5), 448-451.

Posted May 08, 2012 3:56 PM by Chessa Lutter

I prefer Global Food and Nutrition Council, agreeing with two previous comments, to emphasize that both food and nutrition are relevant to the research the council does.

Posted May 08, 2012 5:59 PM by Amelia Reese

I prefer Global Food and Nutrition Council, as I think the emphasis on food systems/diets is important to emphasize.

I prefer Global Food and Nutrition, as I feel this name is more embracing of overseas members like myself.

Posted May 08, 2012 9:27 PM by Kathryn Dewey

I would like to see a fourth option presented, Global Nutrition Research Council, despite the comments in #3 above. People who hear about us through sources other than ASN will not necessarily know that we are part of ASN and thus may not recognize that research is the main objective.

Posted May 08, 2012 10:35 PM by Farouk El-Sabban

I would like to suggest the name: "Global Food and Nutrition Research Council". This would cover all aspects and changing food and nutrition issues that are of global concern.

Posted May 08, 2012 10:46 PM by Kirk Dearden

I vote for Global Public Nutrition Council.

Posted May 09, 2012 12:22 AM by Andrew Prentice

I find the inclusion of the word 'public' to be redundant and unhelpful. Although it has assumed a sort of code meaning within academia I don't think others would find it a useful addition.

After considerable thought we recently changed the name of our masters program at LSHTM from Public Health Nutrition to 'Nutrition for Global Health'. Would NUTRITION FOR GLOBAL HEALTH COUNCIL be a possibility.

If not then GNC is OK despite the coincidental TLA. I had to google GNC to find out what you were laughing at in the business meeting!

Posted May 09, 2012 4:27 AM by Bryan Hanley

I agree with the general concept of changing to global and including food. Public is a redundant term. Would it be possible to come up with something other than 'Council'. It is a tedious name for a grouping.

Posted May 09, 2012 6:46 AM by Amanda Wendt

I like the Global Food & Nutrition Council. This seems to open the discussion up to agricultural issues as well.

Posted May 09, 2012 2:03 PM by Shahla Wunderlich

I prefer "Global Food and Nutrition Council" as it is a more inclusive name.

Posted May 10, 2012 3:45 AM by Shelly Sundberg

"Global Food and Nutrition Council" would be my first choice. Too often in nutrition we leave food out of the conversation and this addition will invite others in. "Public" doesn't seem to add much.

Posted May 10, 2012 4:09 AM by antoine

I like global versus international. I like food and nutrition. I have a reservation for "global food and nutrition" as we are dealing with local challenges and solutions and not worldwide issues, and we have a global council. Could we find a proper english wording for "Global Council for Food and Nutition."

Posted May 10, 2012 10:36 AM by Rebecca Kanter

In line with Ram's comment above, I agree that the change from "International" to "Global" should reflect the mission, vision, and strategic goals of the Council.

Thus, I strongly recommend reading the 15th-most-widely-read American Journal of Public Health article: The World Health Organization and the Transition From “International” to “Global” Public Health (read 942 times) by Theodore M. Brown, Marcos Cueto, Elizabeth Fee American Journal of Public Health: January 2006, Vol. 96, No. 1, pp. 62-72: 62 -72 http://ajph.aphapublications.org/doi/pdf/10.2105/AJPH.2004.050831

As this article suggests, are we looking to broaden our reach?

Posted May 20, 2012 3:20 PM by SuperFoods

I agree. Global sounds better than international.

Marshall, SuperFoods Blogger