Nutritional Epidemiology RIS
Leadership Chair: Namanjeet "Naman" Ahluwalia, PhD, DSc, FACN, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, (NCHS/NHANES)
Chair Elect: Niyati Parekh, PhD, RD, New York University
Past Chair: Lisa M. Troy, PhD, University of Massachusetts Amherst
Treasurer: Patricia M Guenther, PhD, RD, University of Utah
Student Representatives: Karim Bougma, MS, McGill University
Nour Makarem, MS, RD, New York University
Advisory Steering Committee Regan Bailey, PhD, RD, National Institutes of Health, ODS Katrarzyna "Kasia" Kordas, PhD, University of Bristol Joann M. McDermid, PhD, Cornell University Amy Millen, PhD, University of Buffalo
Nicholas J. Ollberding, PhD, Cincinnati Children's Hospital
Shivani Sahni, PhD, Harvard Medical School
Claire A. Zizza, PhD, RDN, Auburn University
Upcoming Meetings and Important Dates
- Nov 6, 2014: EB 2015 abstract submission deadline. EB meeting in Boston from March 28 – April 1. See you there! http://scientificsessions.nutrition.org/
- The fourth annual Advances and Controversies in Clinical Nutrition conference is December 4-6 at the Gaylord National Resort in National Harbor, MD. Registration and housing are open.
- ICDAM is the International Conference on Diet and Activity Methods. In 2015 the 9th ICDAM conference will be held in Brisbane (Australia) from September 1st and will run through to September 3rd. Additional information on ICDAM9 can be found at: http://www.icdam9australia.com/
- Society for Epidemiologic Research (SER). This is a great overall conference on Epi methods. They often have sessions with a nutrition relevant focus. The 2015 annual meeting will be held from June 16-19 in Denver, Colorado.
- International Symposium on Nutritional Aspects of Osteoporosis (ISNAO). This conference focuses on Nutritional Epidemiology as it relates to osteoporosis. The 9th ISNAO meeting is being and will be held June 17-20, 2015 in Montreal, Canada. Further information is available at:
- "Let's get started" mentoring tips from EB 2014 available here
- 2015 Dietary Guidelines for Americans
The 2015 Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee (DGAC) is currently reviewing the scientific evidence on diet, nutrition, and health and developing its report for the HHS and USDA Secretaries. The federal government will use the Committee's report as the scientific basis for developing the eighth edition of the Dietary Guidelines for Americans (DGA). The DGAC holds a series of public meetings to develop its recommendations. Information about the DGAC, webcast recordings of public meetings, and other meeting materials are available at www.DietaryGuidelines.gov.The fifth meeting of the DGAC was held on September 16-17, 2014. Meeting information and resources are available at The DGAC Public Meeting 6 will be held by webcast on November 7, 2014 from 10 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. Registration will open on October 23, 2014 at that website. The 7th and final meeting of the DGAC is tentatively scheduled for December 15th this year.